- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Cup Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Celery, finely chopped
- 1 slice of ham (1/2 inch thick), cubed
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and 1 cubed (same size as the ham), 1 finely chopped
- 1 Cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 Cup water
- ¼ tsp dried dill weed
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt/Pepper to taste. Throughout each step
In large saucepan, on med-hi heat add the butter, and melt.
Add the celery, onion, carrot and sweat for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add the cubed ham, and cook for 5-10 minutes.
Add the finely chopped potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. This is going to be your ‘thickening agent’. As the small potatoes break down during cooking they’ll naturally thicken the soup
Add the large, cubed potatoes, water, chicken stock and herbs, and simmer on medium-low heat for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.