Tomato Fennel Broth
Time: 30-45 mins
Yield: serves about 8 (some people like more sauce)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks fennel, finely chopped
- 1 box pomi brand or “san marzano” tomatoes
- juice and zest of 2 medium oranges
- 1 Cup dry, white wine (something you like to drink, chardonnay, or pinot grigio/gris)
- 3 Cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns, ground
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper,ground
- 2 tsp fennel seed, ground
- salt, to taste
- In a large sauce pan on med/hi heat, add olive oil and heat for about 2 minutes. Then add onion/fennel, and cook/sweat until they are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Next add wine and reduce by half.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients, cover and reduce heat to low to simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring often so as not to stick to the bottom.
- Optional: finish with a few pieces of saffron.
- NOTE: the consistency of the sauce can be adjusted to your preference based on liquid…if you want a thinner sauce, add more stock towards the end…if you want it thicker, continue to ‘reduce’ it to evaporate excess liquid!